Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In the Midst

I came across something that I had not seen before when I was reading Exodus earlier this year.

And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.
Exodus 29:46


We know from earlier in the book that one reason God delivered the Israelites was to make a name for Himself. However, this verse gives us an additional purpose statement. Do you see the little word "that" after the word Egypt? God delivered the Israelites for the purpose of dwelling among them! This verse follows right after God has given the instructions for the tabernacle where He will dwell "in their midst".

And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell in their midst.
Exodus 25:8


Then Christ comes in the gospels to dwell among us.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14


Later, when John sees the vision that he recounts in Revelation, he sees a mighty man in the midst of the lampstands. And we are told that these lampstands are the His church. Christ is seen as dwelling in the midst of the the church now! God with us! In our midst!

"Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel" (which means, God with us).
Matthew 1:23

No comments:

Post a Comment