Thursday, July 3, 2014

Good for the Soul

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Ecclesiastes 3:1-4


I feel like I am in a season of pruning. Over the past few months, the Lord, in His kindness, has been showing me things that I need to give up, or love less. He has been highlighting my weakness in all the things that I think I do really well. He has revealed my sometimes very critical spirit. All of this climaxed while I was at the TGC Women's conference last weekend. We were lying in bed the last night sharing what God had been showing us through the conference-- well, my roommates were sharing... I was reluctant to share how convicted I felt. I didn't want to admit to my arrogance. But my sisters pressed, and I confessed.

Sin is heavy. Too heavy for us to bear. Too dirty for us to clean ourselves up. And when God is stripping it away, it hurts!  So confession can be good for the soul. Now, please don't walk into Sunday school this week and go into detailed confession. That's just awkward for everyone. However, with a few people who know you well (They already know you are a mess.), and who love you because you are together IN CHRIST, it actually lightens your burden.

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
James 5:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment