Friday, July 4, 2014

Yesterday's Manna

And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
Deuteronomy 8:3


If you aren't familiar with the story of the Exodus, here's how it goes. The Israelites were enslaved by Pharaoh in Egypt. God sent plagues through Moses and delivered them. He led them through the Red Sea and the desert. They grumbled and threatened to go back to Egypt continually. At times, God simply proved His faithfulness by graciously providing for their needs. At others, He punished their rebellion. The story of the manna is a small example of this larger narrative. The people of Israel complained that they had no food, so God sent them bread from heaven. When He did this, He laid down some very specific rules about when and how much they could gather. There was a certain amount per person, and they were supposed to gather only enough for one day, each day but the sixth. He also told them not to keep it overnight on any night except the sixth. On the sixth day they were supposed to gather and prepare enough for two days so that the seventh day could be a day of rest. But the Israelites didn't obey. Some gathered extra on a day other than the sixth. Some didn't gather enough on the sixth day, but went out the seventh looking for bread and came back empty.

I have to admit that I am very sympathetic to the Israelites. I like making enough when I cook to have leftovers. We actually have a "leftovers" day about once a week! =) I have a tendency to not prepare well for things that I know are coming and then be rushed and behind when "go time" rolls around. But this post is not primarily about practicalities. As Christians, the most important book for us is the Bible. We say we believe that it has all we need for life and godliness. (2 Peter 1:3) And I do LOVE the Word. It satisfies me in a way that nothing else can. But sometimes, when I've been satiated in a passage one day, I want to just live on that for a few days. It was so good! So rich! And I want to gorge on it. However, a passage RARELY has the same punch for me on day two that it had on day one. And whatever insights so impacted me "yesterday", often seem a bit weak "today". Maybe because the needs of my days vary dramatically.

As with the Israelites and the manna, God provides what we need for today, ON TODAY. Please don't try to live on yesterday's manna. Dig in to the Word today and feast on the GOODNESS God has for you! =)

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12
 

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-5
 

My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! 
When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes! 
Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works. 
My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! 
Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! 
I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me. 
I cling to your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame! 
I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!
Psalms 119:25-32


No comments:

Post a Comment