Saturday, June 18, 2016

Interruptions and Distractions

Four years ago I listened to every session from The Gospel Coalition's women's conference when it became available online. Two years ago I was elated to get to attend. This year, due to a number of circumstances, I was unable to go. I am thankful that because of technology I have been able (mostly) to"attend" from a distance.

There are definite drawbacks to this type of attendance. If I had travelled to Indianapolis, I would have made preparation for my family's needs in my absence BEFORE I left. So there would have been no further need for me to think about laundry and meals and children's schedules for these three days. As it is, my attention has been very divided between the conference and all the responsibilities of home.

Since my Crew are big kids, I told them that I would be in my room watching if they needed something. A funny thing happens when I am "unavailable" to my children. Suddenly the umbilical cord reattaches and they NEED to be in my presence to survive! 😄 (If you're a mom, you've probably experienced this phenomenon as well.) So in addition to the distractions, my children provided frequent interruptions as I tried to focus on the sessions.

Having properly attended the conference a couple of years ago, I know that there are still distractions and interruptions if you are there in person, but they tend to be minimized. So this weekend has been a very sharp illustration for me of the need to be intentional and focus on spending time with the Lord. As moms, as adults, as teenage women, even as young girls, there are a million things that we can see and touch and hear which scream for our attention. The question becomes, what is truly important? What will matter and last when I finally see the face of my Savior?

In one of the sessions I listened to four years ago, I heard this quote, "When judgment day comes, we will regret the waste of a single moment not used for the glory of Christ. We will not, however, regret one moment spent studying God's word and hiding it in our hearts. We will only wish we'd spent more moments doing so." That thought has spurred me into the Scriptures more than any other since I heard it. So I beg you, dear Sister, hear the Word of the Lord.

Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10

The LORD is exalted, for he dwells on high;
he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness,
and he will be the stability of your times,
abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge;
the fear of the LORD is Zion's treasure.
Isaiah 33:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment