Thursday, June 16, 2016

Repetition

I'm a mom. I have four kids. So I spend A LOT of time repeating myself. Sometimes I have to repeat myself because not all the children were near enough to hear the command or answered question. This can be annoying, but is not nearly as frustrating as having to repeat myself when they were all in close proximity. The most aggravating though, is having to repeat myself to the same child. My son was especially bad when he was younger. He could be looking me in the eye as I gave him a command, and I would still have to repeat the command four or five, or more, times!

While I am no longer a child by human reckoning, I have just been reminded that I am still a child before my God. I still act childish in my heart. I sulk and fuss and complain when things don't go as I'd prefer, and I don't listen to the instruction He so graciously and patiently gives.

I've been feeling like I'm spinning my tires at home. When people ask what I do, I have to struggle just to get words out because the first thought that comes to mind is, "I'm just a mom." I want to believe that there is dignity, purpose in the mountains of laundry, the taxiing from one place to the next, the countless trips to the store for the "something" that missed the list, the just-mopped floor that has already caught a spill, another meal, another book, another TV show, another day... but most of the time, it just feels pointless.

In His kindness, the Lord has repeated Himself to me again and again over the last few weeks. Yes, there is dignity in "just a mom". You're not "just a mom", you are first and foremost My child. There is purpose in pouring out yourself for others. It doesn't feel glamorous, but it is working glory into your soul. You are looking more and more like My Son. And these little souls that I have entrusted to you are your calling. They matter to me just as much as any other soul in your town. Pour yourself out for them. And when it is time, I'll send you more souls that need my love.

Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.
Philippians 2:17
 

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
1 John 3:16

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18
 

Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you. Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
Philippians 3:1, 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment