Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Never-changing

Shorty's and my fifteenth anniversary came and went earlier this month. I would say we celebrated, but since he's working crazy-long hours right now we really didn't see much of one another. Fifteen years is kind of a long time. Right now it's almost half my life. I've learned a few things about him over the years. For example, it took me thirteen years to learn that he LOVES roast turkey (think Thanksgiving dinner). However, it's kind of frustrating to THINK I've learned something only to find out later that I misunderstood-- or he changed his mind. Like when I was sure that he'd told me that he doesn't like sauteed onions and bell peppers at breakfast, but when I shared that with someone else he was offended and insisted that he does like them. I know he's had a similar feeling towards me. In fact, I have yet to meet a couple who have been married more than a few years that HAVEN'T experienced this. No matter how well we know one another, our knowledge is subject to change because we change.

As I thought about this, I was so thankful that our relationship with the Lord isn't like that. Once you learn something about Him (as long as it is true) it will NEVER change. So you've learned that God is loving... He will ALWAYS be loving. Or you've learned that He doesn't need sleep... He will NEVER need sleep. Or you've learned that He is the source of life... He will never cease to be the source of life. This is a comfort, but only insofar as what you know of Him is really true. So dig into the Word, and get to know the never-changing God.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
James 1:17

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
Numbers 23:19

Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.
Psalm 102:25-27

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment