Monday, June 20, 2016

Sweet Dreams

I sometimes have terrible nightmares. The kind where you wake up with your heart hammering and your clothes drenched in sweat. The kind where it takes a few minutes (or more) to be sure that the dream was truly that-- a dream. And I have suffered from them as long as I can remember. As a kid, I would wake Mommy up and then sleep next to her bed for the remainder of the night. As a teen I decided that I was too old to wake my parents for a nightmare, so I began to dig into my Bible. At first, I just remembered having heard that the Bible says that God never sleeps, so I prayed. I prayed that he would keep me and my family safe. I prayed that he would calm my heart. I prayed that he would help me believe that my dreams weren't real. And eventually I would fall back asleep. But as I read, I found verses that talked about God giving sleep and rest to those He loves. And my most favoritest:

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8 (NIV)

That one verse tackled all my nighttime fears. And for the next several years allowed me to sleep mostly peacefully.

But then I grew up, and very quickly became a mom times four. Now my nighttime fears typically center around the safety of my family. Sometimes, rather than  nightmares in my sleep, I lie awake and imagine all the possible worsts. (I know, that's a terrible waste of time and energy and sleep and imagination!) But God is so gracious, and has provided a new Psalm to tackle these adapted worries.

A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalms 127:1-2


And still...

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Psalms 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment