Friday, June 17, 2016

Skin On

I can't remember when I heard this story, but when I was younger, a pastor gave an illustration of a person (I think it was a kid) who was feeling particularly lonely. This person shared that loneliness with a friend, or pastor, or something, and got the good "Christianese" answer that God could be this person's friend and alleviate the loneliness. Our lonely character then went to the Lord in prayer and said something to the effect that God's friendship was great, but he really just wanted a friend "with skin on".

For my Shorty's job right now, he has been working between seventy and eighty hours a week. He is my bestest, favoritest friend. I have many dear female friends, but they are no substitute for my Shorty. Earlier this week I was feeling intensely lonely. In my loneliness and melancholy I cried to the Lord that I really wanted a friend with skin on. Over the course of the day He reminded me how near He has always been, through "skin on" friends and through His Spirit in me. He reminded me of His faithfulness when He was my only friend. And He challenged me to rest in Him. It wasn't an instantaneous "I feel better" happy happy joy joy. But there was comfort. There was an increasing feeling of being genuinely and deeply loved. And I did begin to feel better.

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:5-11


No comments:

Post a Comment