Thursday, June 30, 2016

What a Waste

When I was a kid I thought my Mommy was pretty amazing-- at least when I stopped to think about it. She poured out her time, her energy, her life, to benefit our family. On Mother's Day when I was ten, the pastor asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. I responded that I wanted to be a mom. So twenty years later I'm living my dream. Except its not exactly what I'd envisioned. The days are longer. The nights are shorter. The laundry is bigger and smellier. Cooking gets tedious and monotonous. And I often feel like my instruction is just wasted breath.

And in those moments I believe a lie. Ever since high school, there have been people in my life who have told me that using my skills and talents at home is a waste. I've heard that I'm too smart to waste my brain raising my kids. I've heard that I'm wasting my most productive years by staying out of the work force to serve my family. And when all I see is what I think I'm NOT accomplishing, I believe that my life is a waste.

Dear Sister, if you feel that pull in your heart (whether you stay at home to work, or add outside work to your life as well) hear the words of our God. What you are doing right now (as long as it isn't sin) is exactly what God wants you to be doing. And He NEVER wastes anything!

Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called. Were you a slave when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.) For he who was called in the Lord as a slave is a freedman of the Lord. Likewise he who was free when called is a slave of Christ. You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God.
1 Corinthians 7:17-24
 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment