Friday, July 19, 2013

Dense

I'll be doing a lot of baking the next two days in preparation for a birthday party. As I was mixing up my first batch of baked yummies this morning I was reminded of a post idea I had Sunday. This past Sunday we observed the Lord's Supper at church. As we were waiting for everyone to be served, I was pondering the bread. Jesus instituted His meal at the annual Jewish observance of the Passover, so the bread we use is unleavened. If you're not familiar with baking, leaven is what makes breads, cakes, and cookies light and fluffy. God told the Israelites that they were to eat unleavened bread to remind themselves that they left Egypt in a hurry (because at that time, leaven required rising time-- think yeast). However, God is great and His thoughts are so high that he is able to weave layers of meaning into one symbol, and I think He did that with the unleavened bread. See, without leaven, the bread is very dense. And as I pondered that, I thought about how Jesus' life was (and continues to be) "dense" with righteousness. While my life is filled with frivolous things, and is corrupted by sin. And it makes me marvel that it pleased the Triune God for the Son to leave the glories of Heaven, live on this fallen globe, and die in the place of His people-- who at the time were still His enemies!

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Romans 5:6-11
 

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:9-10
 

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment