Sunday, July 21, 2013

Don't Settle

People keep asking us if we're "settled in" to our new house yet. My answer is basically "yes", while for Shorty it's still a bit up in the air. =) The definition of "settle" is "to establish, appoint, or fix" or "to come to rest". However, as I was thinking of the word "settle" I was drawn toward the phrase "settle for". When we began our house hunt, there were things that we thought were "deal breakers", and then there were things that we were willing to "settle for". The awesome thing is that in our house we got everything we knew we wanted AND everything we wouldn't have thought to ask for (plus a few things we could have done without! ;)).

Then I started thinking about spiritual things. How often do we "settle for" in that sphere of life? Do I settle for only hearing God's Word through the mouths of others, instead of also being in the Word on my own? Do I settle for merely seeing God's people a couple of times a week (or less), instead of REALLY getting to know them-- and letting them REALLY know me? Do I settle for teachings that say that I should be healthy and happy now, instead of believing that this life is a battle that God is using to make me more like my Savior? Do I settle for being thankful for the physical blessings I have, instead of seeking to use my abundance to bless others?

Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
1 Timothy 6:12
 

"Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
Luke 13:24
 

So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.
1 Corinthians 14:12
 

Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
1 Timothy 4:7-10
 

Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.
2 Timothy 2:3-4
 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
Hebrews 12:1-3


In light of this, Strive! Battle! Aim for holiness! Struggle! Fight!... today, tomorrow and always. DON'T SETTLE!!! And at the end we can say with Paul:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment