Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hide Your Word in My Heart

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalms 119:11

"Storing up" makes me think of several different things, grain silos, treasure vaults (Hobbit style!), and oddly enough, my father-in-laws "Y2K" stores of water jugs... "Store up" is an intentional verb, requiring conscious effort. In fact, LOTS of the verbs in Psalm 119 are intentional words, but more on that another time... =)

I've been actively working for almost nine months now on memorizing Scripture again. And I love waking up with a portion (or portions) of Scripture already running through my mind! Here's the portion that was on my mind this morning:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2


A few observations. First, these verses begin by reminding us that we are not alone. God created us to be in relationships with him and with other people. The author of Hebrews knows this and is encouraging us to follow the example of other believers who have ALSO laid aside those things that will hinder their faith. I LOVE that! It is so easy for me to start thinking that I'm the only one to (fill in the blank), but I'm not! Next, look at the VERBS!!! "Lay aside", "run", "looking". We have a very active role in the outworking of our faith. And the best part, the motivation for EVERYTHING we do, Jesus. Look to Jesus the "founder and PERFECTER of our faith". Recognize your sin. Lay it aside. Then turn your focus to Christ and run in the footsteps of your Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment