Monday, October 14, 2013

Be careful which way you lean.

My Crew watched "The Lorax" last week. I love it when there is a line (or more than one) in a movie that makes me think, "OOOHHH!" So, here it is!

The Lorax: Which way does a tree fall?
The Once-ler: Uh, down?
The Lorax: A tree falls the way it leans. Be careful which way you lean.

I didn't love the movie overall, but there were nuggets like this one sprinkled throughout. And this one really got my mind going. What makes a tree lean? Generally it is the effects of the environment around the tree when it is small. Maybe strong winds, or larger trees, or deer rubbing off their velvet, or a lightning strike. In short, it is adversity. And then I thought about me. Which way do I lean? When adversity comes, where do I go for relief or satisfaction? And for me, the answer as often as not, is "stuff". A book, a movie, some random crafty thing (pleasure and entertainment)... But if that's where I lean, then when catastrophe hits I will fall into my idol- and it will DROP ME FLAT! You see, there is only one SAFE place to lean, and that is into Jesus Christ. When catastrophe makes me fall, He will uphold me. He'll set me back on my feet and give me strength to keep walking. So... Be careful which way you lean.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5
 

In that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no more lean on him who struck them, but will lean on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.
Isaiah 10:20

No comments:

Post a Comment