Tuesday, October 8, 2013

More

I enjoy eating! A LOT!!! And I love to cook, so that makes a pretty good situation for me. ;) Until I decide I want more. Have you ever noticed how you can go without sweets, or bread, or chocolate for a long time, but when you DO indulge, suddenly you just want more, and More, and MORE! So I started thinking about how that works with most pleasures (at least for me). When I experience something pleasant, I want more-- more food, more games, more books... And before long, a little isn't enough. I actually NEED more to get the same amount of pleasure. I began to wonder why that is-- why is there a law of diminishing returns??? I think it is because we were created to take pleasure in our Creator. And because He is infinite, He is always able to give us more. Not stuff, not fleeting pleasures, but more of Himself! We were created for MORE, we just have to pursue the RIGHT more. =)

And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
Deuteronomy 8:3
 

Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places. To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.
Habakkuk 3:17-19
 

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:21-26

No comments:

Post a Comment