Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Lord is my Shepherd

I thought I was going to post this yesterday, but time flew away from me. For the last couple of weeks, I've felt like I was falling farther and farther behind in my preparations. I need lesson plans and a menu for our week to run smoothly-- and I've only been getting portions of those done. We are also entering the busiest season at church, and "borrowing trouble" was wearing me out. But during my devotions yesterday, I read Psalm 23. It was much needed nourishment for my soul.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Psalm 23:1

That verse was like cool water when your mouth is parched. He is watching over me. I will not lack ANYTHING I need to serve Him well!

He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalm 23:2-3

Here I was reminded of His great provision for me. He supplies my needs, and He does it WELL! Lush green pastures are GOOD food for a sheep. Still waters are safe for me to wade into to cool my feet while I sate my thirst. I am safe in His care.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

But our Psalmist is so balanced. He doesn't leave us with just pictures of ease and pleasure. He knows that we will walk through dangerous and sad places, however, we need not fear. He is still WITH us to guide and correct!

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Psalm 23:5

Now we have a reminder that we are blessed with God's favor. The reason that "my cup overflows" is because of God's work in my life.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23:6

Finally, I see that God pursues me. And that is such GOOD NEWS, because I am just a dumb sheep, prone to wander into the same dangers again... and again... and again...
But God's goodness and mercy (the Hebrew word translated "mercy" is chesed, which means lovingkindness, or covenant faithfulness) will pursue me. For His glory which is my good. =)

A Psalm of David. 
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, 
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalms 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment