Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Your Dirt Is Dirtier!

We got new (to us) couches last week. But since they had been sitting in storage for a significant amount of time, I felt like they needed a good cleaning. So I started... but my weekend flew away from me and parts of them still smelled funny. =P
We had an accident on the old couch this weekend, so I shampooed the affected area. However, after that had dried, I realized that the rest of the couch also needed a good shampooing. So this afternoon I've been shampooing the couches. And I've been pondering... =)

When I first began to clean the "new" couches, I thought they were really nasty. But as I cleaned the "old" couch, I realized that the mess that was coming off of it looks and smells just like the mess coming off the others! And I thought about sin. I can hardly look at a mess anymore and NOT think about sin. I may not say, or even act like your sin is worse than mine... but I think it. Because I can't handle how evil I really am. My sin doesn't seem "as bad" as my friend's because it is MINE, and part of me still loves it!

So I am reminded again that I am a wretched sinner. And I need a Savior. I need Someone who has NEVER sinned, but loves me in spite of my unlovelyness.

Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
Hebrews 2:17-18
 

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.
2 Peter 3:10-14

No comments:

Post a Comment