Monday, April 28, 2014

Compass

I had told my Crew a few months ago that I would show them how to make a compass. Life and my faulty memory have gotten in the way, but Thursday morning I did make a compass for them. Step one, after assembling your components, is to magnetize a needle. Once this is done, your needle will point toward a pole. But there's a catch... You have to know which pole. In a manufactured compass, the needle is oriented north. I didn't know that the magnet I picked up was a south magnet, so our needle pointed the wrong direction. Because I know the general compass points in relation to my house, I realized almost immediately that our compass was off. However, I told my Crew that if we were out in a random place, and only using our homemade compass for direction, we would be lost!

At that point, I was struck by the fact that we all have something guiding the direction of our lives. But there are so many who are following a "compass" that is not true. Whatever drives you, if it is not the gospel of Jesus Christ, will point you in the wrong direction.

For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
Psalms 31:3
 

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment