Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I CAN'T!

I had kind of a rough Sunday. My family was bowing to idols all over the place. And then I realized that I had been bowing to one of my own... and it had dropped me flat. We managed to get to church-- although we were a bit late. As I was sitting in the sanctuary, waiting for the service to begin, I was praying that the Lord would help me to be faithful in all the responsibilities He's entrusted to me. Then the thought washed over me that I can't be faithful. And I was reminded of the scene in "Frozen" where Anna finds Elsa's ice palace. You may not have been able to catch Elsa's words, running underneath Anna's hopeful reprise, so here they are:

I'm such a fool, I can't be free
No escape for the storm inside of me
I can't control the curse
Anna, please, you'll only make it worse!
No!
I CAN'T!

But God is so gracious to never leave us with the "I can't". While it is VERY true that I am completely unable to be faithful, Christ was faithful in my place! God the Father was "well pleased" with Christ. So in Christ, He is also well pleased with me-- in spite of my unfaithfulness. And that love motivates me to keep trying to be more faithful.

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9
 

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 5:7-10


For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God's truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, "Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name."
Romans 15:8-9
 

And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
1 Corinthians 1:30-31
 

No comments:

Post a Comment