Thursday, April 3, 2014

It's Important

I LOVE my job! I am a stay-at-home wife and mama. And I wouldn't trade it for any other profession in the world! Even when my Crew were all very small, I wouldn't have traded being with them for a paying job away from them. However, I've got close friends who would rather have another job, but stay home with their little ones because they believe it is what is best for their children. I'm not advocating or condemning either working exclusively at home or having an official profession, because every situation and every family is different. But this post is particularly for my sisters who work at home and don't exactly love it.

I saw a trailer recently for a movie called "Mom's Night Out". (I can't wait to go see it with my sisters!) The premise of the movie is that this group of moms make plans to take a night out-- away from the kids. The dads are left responsible for the kids, and the movie chronicles the disaster that ensues. At least, that's my impression from the trailer. But right at the end of the trailer, (I have no idea where, in the movie, the scene takes place.) one of the dads is looking at his wife and says to her, "Hon, your job..." She interrupts him and says, "It's hard. I know." Then he responds, "It's important. That's what I was gonna' say."

I was talking to my Shorty about this recently. When you have more than one little person pulling on you and needing you-- All. Day. Long. (Sometimes all NIGHT long, too.) And you spend your days doing one more load of laundry... trying to put one more healthy meal on the table-- and knowing that it will be a battle getting them to eat it... wiping one more dirty bottom... changing one more shirt because of a river of spit up... mopping up (and trying not to cry over) one more cup of spilled milk... It is SO EASY to forget that what you're doing is important. (And by the way, I know it can be even more of a challenge for mamas who work at an outside profession and then come home to this same set of needs.)

Dear sister, lift up your eyes today to a Savior who sees all that you do and sacrifice for your little ones. Find your comfort in the One who trained up a group of guys who, very often, acted much like children. Know that your words to little hearts today will have an unbelievably lasting impact on them for the rest of their lives. And if you feel like you've lost yourself in the needs of others, remember that your identity is not wrapped up in what you do, but in whose you are! You are a daughter of the King of the universe! You are loved more than you can ever imagine! And what you do is important.

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:17-24

No comments:

Post a Comment