Saturday, April 12, 2014

Devotion or Obsession

I saw this quote on a friend's Facebook wall recently.

"Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about."

This has had me chewing and pondering for several days. I even googled the quote to see if I could find the person who coined it. The first thing that I thought of was my faith and how it colors every aspect of my life. I was almost immediately convicted that I am quite capable of going hours or days with little thought of my King, the Lover of my soul. But I am devoted to pursuing relationship with Him-- even though I often fail. My next thought was of the obsession that masquerades as "love" in fictional movies, books, and TV shows. So I looked up definitions. =)

devotion: 1) profound dedication; consecration
                2) earnest attachment to a cause, person, etc.

obsession: the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image desire, etc.
(Origin: 1505–15;  < Latin obsessiōn-  (stem of obsessiō ) blockade, siege, equivalent to obsess)

I thought the origin of the word "obsession" was fascinating. The picture of an army encamped around a city in conquest comes to mind. Devotion seems to be more of an active term, while obsession is more passive. So while I kind of like the above quote, it seems to fit more closely with obsession. And obsession is not appropriate for a Christian. We are commanded to take control of our thoughts and guard them, not to allow them to control us.

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
2 Corinthians 10:3-5


And just for a bit of balance, before you begin making your list of "to-do's". Christ always guarded His thoughts and was fully devoted to His Father. It is only through His power in the Spirit that we can begin to take our thoughts captive. So rest in the work He completed on your behalf!

Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:11-16

No comments:

Post a Comment