Thursday, April 10, 2014

Throwback Thursday

This was me about thirteen years ago. I was at my senior prom. It was a typical prom-- fancy dresses and curly up-dos for the girls, tuxes for the guys, food, glitter, music...
I dressed up, showed up, took pictures with my friends, voted for the king and queen, and even tried to dance a couple of line dances. What you can't see in this picture is a not inconspicuous ring on a very conspicuous finger. This was only about six weeks before my wedding, and my sweetheart wasn't able to come to the prom. (He was 23.) So in spite of the "food, friends, and fun", I was eager to leave.

This week I've been trying to finish a book that I started over a year ago. In it, the author is exhorting his reader to really, passionately, exorbitantly, LOVE the One True and Living God. As I was reading, I was reminded of my eagerness to be with my Shorty way back when, and how he's still the first person I want to talk to about EVERYTHING! And how I should feel that to an even greater degree with the Lord. Which is probably why I love this quote from A.W. Tozer:

"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long."

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deuteronomy 6:4-5
 

A Song of Ascents. Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD! O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption. And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Psalms 130:1-8
 

So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:7-15


No comments:

Post a Comment