Monday, March 25, 2013

Romans 8-- Part 1

I have been meeting with one of my sisters from church for Bible study for a few months now-- with a break in the middle because of sickness... =(
When we started we decided to work our way through Romans. So we read a chapter a week, and then we meet and talk about our observations from that chapter. We chose Romans after reading Knowing God by J.I. Packer. He says that we should read all of Scripture through the lens of Romans. He also says in the book that you really need the book in its entirety to appreciate its parts. For the last couple of weeks, I have really felt the truth of that statement. Like I mentioned, we've been meeting for a few months (probably about 15 weeks) and we are only in chapter 8. I believe we were in chapters 4-5 for five weeks during the sickness break. Then we missed another week so we were in chapter 6 or 7 for two weeks. Let me tell you, after reading chapters 6 and 7 for three weeks, I felt like I was being crushed with the weightiness of God's standard and my sin!

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
Romans 1:18-25
 

They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
Romans 1:29-31
 

as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." "The venom of asps is under their lips." "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness." "Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known." "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Romans 3:10-18
 

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
Romans 7:18-25


But we finally made it to chapter 8 and it was like having held your breath and finally being able to breathe again!!!

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Romans 8:1-4


There is way too much goodness in chapter 8 to fit it all into one post-- well, the length of my posts anyway! ;)
So, more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment