Thursday, March 21, 2013

Take My Own Advice

I've mentioned recently that my affection for my Savior has been waning. I'm just not delighting in Him during this particular season like I was for a while. At our monthly womens' Bible study, I encouraged our ladies to "cultivate their gardens"-- a metaphor for pursuing growth in faith-- primarily by having a steady diet in the Word. My affections tend to wax and wane in direct correlation to my devotions. So I think I'd better take my own advice!

We, as believers in Jesus Christ, have the presence of God with us at all times through the Holy Spirit. But even with the indwelling of the Spirit, we can live minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even years giving our God little thought. We have to cultivate our hearts in His direction, and the primary way we can do this is by being in His Word. Here is a sampling from Psalm 119 telling the benefits of God's Word.

v.9- How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
v.11- I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
v.16- I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.
v.17- Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
v.25- My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word!
v.28- My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!
v.42- then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in your word.
v.49- Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.
v.65- You have dealt well with your servant, O LORD, according to your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment