Thursday, December 12, 2013

Generous

I've been trying to memorize Psalm 37. It's been a bit slow going, first because it is one of the longer Psalms (it has 40 verses), and second because I've also been working on memorizing some other passages and verses at the same time. But I began working on verses 21-22 a few weeks ago and was kind of floored by the content of that particular pair! And I continue to be convicted each time I practice it.

The wicked borrows but does not pay back, but the righteous is generous and gives; for those blessed by the LORD shall inherit the land, but those cursed by him shall be cut off.
Psalms 37:21-22


My oldest was reading over my shoulder when I typed it the first time. At the end I said, "Wow!" And she asked, "What, Mama?" So I explained to her that these two verses are teaching us something about greed. The wicked "borrows" but does not pay back. He's greedy. He wants to hang on to EVERY LITTLE THING that he can get his hands on. But the righteous is generous and gives. Why is the righteous generous? According to these verses, because he knows that he will inherit the land. In other words, he has a FUTURE! He trusts that he will be taken care of when his needs arise. (You can see that earlier in the Psalm.) In a similar way, the wicked person, who is cursed by God, somehow realizes that he has no future. Now is as good as it gets...

But as I practiced this pair of verses again today, I had a following thought. As believers after the first Advent of Christ, we have His example to follow. Jesus is the only TRULY Righteous One, and He both WAS and IS generous. He was generous when He became a Man some 2,000 years ago, then lived and died in the place of His people. And He continues to be generous as He gives us temporal blessings, and present fellowship with Him, and hope for a future when all things will be made right. So I find myself convicted for my lack of generosity. I want to hang onto my comfort, rather than trusting that my needs will be met in the now, and that I have a future.

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1-2
 

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.
1 Peter 2:21

No comments:

Post a Comment