Thursday, December 19, 2013

Not Necessarily Indicative

I LOVE wrapping presents! I just finished (almost) all of ours for the year! =) But wrapping is another relatively mindless activity, which leaves my brain available for other ponderings...

When I was eight I eagerly opened my gift from my grandparents. However, once the ribbons and paper were off, I was TERRIBLY disappointed. The box I held in my hands was Shredded Wheat biscuits. (The full sized, unsweetened ones that you were supposed to crumble into your bowl.) =P
And the words that immediately proceeded from my eight-year-old mouth were, "I don't even LIKE this kind of cereal!" That was the year that I learned that "the box is not necessarily indicative of the contents". This is a HUGE theme in our family. Especially if you have homemade gifts, (or if you just like trying to fool the recipient ;)) boxes come to mean almost nothing! So I was reminiscing as I wrapped and listened to my Christmas music. And then it hit me, Jesus' "box" (what we can see) was not indicative of the "contents". Here's what I mean:

Jesus is God. He has always existed with the Father, and is equal in essence with the Father. Infinite, Omniscient, Omnipotent, Creator, King. And yet... He looked just like us. Just another baby born all squishy. Just another little boy running around making noise. Just another man plodding along the dusty roads in Israel. Yes, He did miraculous things. But so had many prophets before Him. Only this "box", Jesus' human body, held the fullness of God! (And just to be clear, Jesus is FULLY God and FULLY man.) WOW! All I can say is that this concept BOGGLES MY MIND!!! =)

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
Luke 2:4-7
 

And the child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom. And the favor of God was upon him.
Luke 2:40
 

For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.
Isaiah 53:2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment