Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Today

I sometimes suffer from Scarlet O'Hara disorder. She says, "I won't think about that today... I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day." I may have a good idea, or a new thing I need to start doing... but my today is full, so I'll think about it tomorrow... But when tomorrow comes... I'm still busy, and the "whatever it was" keeps ending up on tomorrow's "list".

After reading a few blogs/articles yesterday, coupled with some current circumstances, I came to the conclusion that I need to get up half an hour earlier to get my exercise in. After all, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy." And I like being happy! =)
But I was all prepared to start that jump tomorrow... or next week.... or after the holidays! ;)
Then a scared little man walked into my room at 4:30 this morning... and I had a half an hour pillow chat with my Shorty... and I set my new alarm... but by the time it went off, I wanted to go back to sleep. And then I thought, "Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?" So I got dressed and got on my treadmill.

But that got me started thinking about how many other things I put off until the ever-elusive "tomorrow". The encouraging note to my sister who's been struggling, or the phone call that I should have made yesterday (or last week!), or devotions, and the list could go on and on. And I thought of this verse:

Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
Hebrews 3:12-13

 
Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, as on the day at Massah in the wilderness, when your fathers put me to the test and put me to the proof, though they had seen my work.
Psalms 95:6-9


No comments:

Post a Comment