Friday, December 6, 2013

Linger

I just looked at the clock and realized that it's nearly ten! This surprised me a bit since we sat down to breakfast at 8:20. Until I realized that we got to linger over our breakfast. We need food to survive, and being in America, we are privileged to have plenty of food. But sometimes our ever busier schedules require us to wolf down our sustenance, rather than lingering over the variety of flavors and textures that we have been given to enjoy. As I was thinking on this briefly, it occurred to me that I have a lot of opportunities to linger over my meals. And I am thankful for that.

Then I began to think about the Word. Do you know, Christian, that God's Word is as necessary to your spirit as food is to your body?

But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Matthew 4:4
 

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
John 6:35
 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17


Then I began to think about my devotions. Some days there are ever so many things demanding my attention, and I have to rush through, because I know I NEED time with my God. Other times, I get to sit and bask in His Word for hours, savoring the truths that are found inside. And there is a place for both. But if it's been a while since you lingered with your God, I encourage you to put that on your "list". Near the top! ;)

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalms 16:5-11

No comments:

Post a Comment