Friday, December 20, 2013

When Your Idols Crumble

Do you know what your idols are? I feel relatively confident that they are not small statues on a shelf, or in a corner, in your home. Some of mine are money, beauty, well-behaved children, and intelligence. I could probably make a REALLY long list if I were to devote myself to introspection. However, I'm SURE I'd be ashamed to share them.

So what happens when your idols begin to crumble? First of all, it feels like your entire world is collapsing with your idol. This is often followed by anger. How DARE my idol fail?!? And then whoever seems to be standing between me and my idol, (or whoever is nearby) suffers the brunt of my anger. But do you know, Christian, why your idols crumble? It is because God is TOO GOOD to allow your idols to satisfy you for long. He knows that worshiping HIM is the only way your soul will be TRULY satisfied. And so He removes what is paltry, to draw you to what is infinitely valuable.

"And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. Deliver me from all my transgressions. Do not make me the scorn of the fool! I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it. Remove your stroke from me; I am spent by the hostility of your hand. When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him; surely all mankind is a mere breath! Selah
Psalms 39:7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment