Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Do I love them?

The flu has been meandering through our family. Reanna is the latest victim. Last night was REALLY rough on her. She has had the fever (although low grade most of the time) and the runny nose, sore throat and bloodshot eyes-- all classic symptoms. But last night she also suffered from the less commons symptoms of nausea and vomiting. She is quite a tough little patient, and seems to have a ridiculously high pain tolerance. But she HATES to throw up. And for some reason, she seems to think that my very presence will remedy her misery. =/

So at 11:00-ish last night and again about 12:30 when she began vomiting, she hollered for me and woke Adara up. Both times I was in that almost/not quite asleep state that leaves you feeling terribly sluggish. Then at 3:30 she yelled and woke Judah up. I am thankful that both older children came to get me... I think. However, when she came to my room just before 6:00 this morning complaining that her throat hurt "REALLY REALLY BAD", I sent her back to bed. I DID NOT want to start my day on that tiny amount of sleep. I'm willing to give up quite a lot for my Crew, but sacrificing my sleep for them is something I struggle with. But as I lay in bed after she left, I just kept thinking to myself, "Are you loving her?", and "Love means sacrifice." She was miserable and unable to help herself... And so, thanks (or maybe not "thanks" at the time) to the convicting prodding of the Spirit, I rolled out of bed and got my sweet girl a drink and some medicine. I even got in a few minutes of devotions-- between playing nurse to miss Reanna. ;)

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
 

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:3-8
 

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment