Monday, February 11, 2013

Recovering

Well, we seem to have survived flu season and our final patient is well on the mend. =) It has been a very enlightening month for me though. I used to think that I could survive the illnesses that occasionally hit my family pretty easily, because my Crew are generally healthy. But as I've thought back over the past month, (and more realistically at the previous few years) I've realized that I start to fall apart when sickness hits. I don't mean that chunks of my body literally start falling off, or even that my house is that much of a mess-- although it is some days! ;) In the chaos that follows "sick" into our home, my devotions start to slip. And if the sickness is drawn out over weeks, I begin to lose my taste for spiritual things. So now we are ALL "recovering" from illness-- I'm just recovering from being sin-sick. Thankfully, Jesus Christ lived and died for my sin-sickness! =)

as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." "The venom of asps is under their lips." "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness." "Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known." "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Romans 3:10-18
 

And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him. And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, "Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?" And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."
Mark 2:14-17
 

He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned--every one--to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 53:3-6

 
For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
Hebrews 2:16-18
 

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment