Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My Favorite Person

I met my favorite person about thirteen and a half years ago. I was new to the community and high school, and was searching for a home church. He was a young adult who still acted more like a kid. It really is funny reminiscing over how the Lord put us together. Some of our earliest thoughts and observations about each other are rather comical in their inadequacy! We both joke that we had to "wait for [Leila] to grow up" before we could get married, but marriage was definitely on the table from the beginning.

We were sitting up chatting recently and our conversation turned to the first years of our marriage. We agree that they were less than exceptional. We hadn't realized how very different we were, and we were not excellent communicators. Add to that the fact that I was VERY young, and almost didn't have cards in the "discretion" suit! I think we would both say that for the first four to five years, we were NOT each others' "favorite person". Sure, we had good times and fun talks, and God blessed us with four babies-- but the joys of marriage were more exception than norm.

And then God began really growing us spiritually. He stretched our theology. He kindled a desire in each of us to know more of Him. And in the process, He also got really busy knitting our hearts together. We became more aware of our differences, but we also learned-- and are still learning-- to appreciate them. We've both learned to communicate together more effectively. And with my Shorty's help, I've added a few cards to my discretion suit. ;) I'm not saying that it's all roses now. We are both still sinners, and sin against each other regularly. But my Shorty is my favorite person. In fact, I often think, "I know he is far from perfect, but he's the perfect guy for me!" =)

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
Ephesians 5:22-31
 

As a lily among brambles, so is my love among the young women. As an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my beloved among the young men. With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste. He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. Sustain me with raisins; refresh me with apples, for I am sick with love. His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me!
Song of Solomon 2:2-6

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.
Song of Solomon 8:7

No comments:

Post a Comment