Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Heavy Burden

I read Psalm 119 again yesterday morning. I wanted to talk about the verses about delight... but that will have to wait, because as I read, I was nearly overwhelmed by the law! I've already talked about how many times this Psalm references God's law, rules, testimonies, commands, etc. So as I read there was this battle in my heart saying, "Yes, I love your commands! But NO! I often don't love your commands!" Like Paul says in Romans:

So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
Romans 7:12


But I cannot keep God's law.

Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?
Acts 15:10
 

yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
Galatians 2:16


So I started to look for the "promise" words in the Psalm.

Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise;
Psalms 119:41
 

I entreat your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
Psalms 119:58
 

Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.
Psalms 119:76


And what is the promise???

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."
Genesis 3:15


 This promise was fulfilled in Jesus Christ. And He has this to say:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:29-30


The gospel is easy. Seemingly TOO easy. It is rest in Christ's perfect law keeping! It is rest in His sufficient sacrifice for my sin! It is rest in God's unconditional love toward His people! And in that rest, a striving toward the holiness that marks me as a member of His family, as I gaze on His holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment