Friday, August 9, 2013

Shopping Theologically

I had to go grocery shopping this morning. My Crew have been fussing at me all week because we were out of this or that. I ran into a snag when I got to the baking aisle. When I got married, I usually bought corn oil for cooking and baking, but several years ago I noticed that it was a fair bit more expensive than vegetable oil. As I was looking at the oil today, it occurred to me that I didn't know what "vegetable" oil was made from-- so I checked the ingredients list. Result: soybean oil. Now if you are at all concerned with what kinds of foods are considered "healthy", you know that (in the U.S.) soybeans are not on that list. There's a lot of information out there about genetically modified soybeans, and whatnot...

 So as I was standing there mulling over whether to buy vegetable oil, or go back to corn oil, or switch to some "healthier" alternative, I thought, "How should my theology impact this decision?" Now that may seem like a completely absurd question to you, but everything we do is ultimately driven by what we truly believe. And for the Christian, we've been told what to believe and how to think by the Bible. It's not always straightforward or easy-- in fact, it is often the opposite, requiring much time and study and thought. But the principles are there.

So here's how my thought process went. Are my family allergic to the product we are currently using? No. Would switching to a different product be a wiser choice financially? Not necessarily. WHY am I suddenly concerned with this? It seems to be a grab at eternal youth/health... which is futile. Now my answers are not universal. In fact, these might not even be the right questions for someone else to ask in this situation... The point is to be intentional about applying the principles of Scripture to my life for God's glory.

May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
2 Peter 1:2-4
 

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalms 119:9-11
 

Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith-- to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.
Romans 16:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment