Thursday, November 22, 2012

Discontentment vs. Thankfulness

My oldest daughter is very much like me sometimes. She chooses (not intentionally, I think) to dwell on the unpleasant parts of her life, rather than looking at the good things. Last year, I was having particular trouble getting her to do her school lesson because she was so busy looking at ALL the bad things she could think of. And I was reminded of the many admonitions in Scripture that we should be thankful.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


So I told her that we were going to play a game. I explained that I would name something I was thankful for, and then she would have to name something SHE was thankful for. Her initial response was to sigh and tell me that she WASN'T thankful for anything. I was having a good parenting moment, so I replied that, in that case, she would just have to say something that she COULD be thankful for. And so we began. I'm not sure how long we played our "game", but when I let her stop, she had a smile and her heart had been reminded to be thankful.

I've been struggling this week with discontentment. Rather ironic since we are celebrating Thanksgiving. =/ My discontentment generally revolves around my house. But as I was praying this morning that the Lord would help me to be content and thankful, He did EXACTLY that. He showed my how, little by little, He has taught me to make better use of the space He's provided for me. And how He's provided, little by little, for me to improve my little house. And he reminded me that He is also equipping my Crew for whatever He has in store for their lives. That's a pretty BIG job, for a pretty LITTLE house! But God is BIG enough to use ANYTHING for His purpose! And as a brother reminded me last night, Jesus is sufficient for me. =)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
Ephesians 1:3-14

 
The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
Psalms 16:5-9

 
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment