Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gushing

I love when I get a break from teaching school to my Crew! I love teaching them too-- at least sometimes. ;) But I love the breaks because I have so much more freedom in terms of what I do with my days. When I am sewing, or cleaning, or cooking, I am able to listen to sermons and things. I don't get that opportunity when I'm teaching school. So this week I've been sewing, and listening to more sessions from The Gospel Coalition's Women's Conference. After spending the better part of two days being poured into by these women of faith, I am literally GUSHING! When I think of gushing, I think of Old Faithful. So last night after the kids went to bed, I just spewed all over Shorty! =) Fortunately for him, it was gushing about the greatness of our God, and not complaints. He has been the sad victim of that kind of gushing before. =(

One portion of one of the sessions that stood out to me was when the speaker was setting the context for her particular passage. She went back to the Garden of Eden, after Adam and Eve had sinned. And she said that as Adam and Eve heard God pronounce judgement on the serpent-- he was the first to receive judgement-- that God was already showing them grace. You see, God had told them that on the day that they ate from the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, they would DIE. But as God spoke judgement on the serpent He said, "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring..." (Gen 3:15) And offspring means LIFE! Before God ever spoke judgement on Adam and Eve, he offered them grace and hope! That was just such a HUGE thought to me! Grace greater than all our sin! =)

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
Psalms 16:5-9
 

Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD. Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!
Psalms 32:10-11
 

Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you.
Psalms 33:18-22

No comments:

Post a Comment