Thursday, November 8, 2012

Gospel Whispers

I read in Psalms again today. I just had to read Psalm 93 again and rejoice that my God reigns! =) But I read on through Psalm 94 as well. The first part is a call to the Lord to judge the wicked, and a reproof against the wicked for thinking that they will get away with their evil.

O LORD, God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, shine forth! Rise up, O judge of the earth; repay to the proud what they deserve! O LORD, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked exult? They pour out their arrogant words; all the evildoers boast. They crush your people, O LORD, and afflict your heritage. They kill the widow and the sojourner, and murder the fatherless; and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive." Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise? He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see? He who disciplines the nations, does he not rebuke? He who teaches man knowledge-- the LORD--knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.
Psalms 94:1-11


And then he contrasts that with the blessing of being one of God's chosen people. He says it is better to be disciplined by the Lord now, than to suffer His wrath with the wicked later.

Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O LORD, and whom you teach out of your law, to give him rest from days of trouble, until a pit is dug for the wicked. For the LORD will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage; for justice will return to the righteous, and all the upright in heart will follow it.
Psalms 94:12-15


This next part resonated the most with me, but it kind of loses it's thunder when you take it out of context.

Who rises up for me against the wicked? Who stands up for me against evildoers? If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought, "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.
Psalms 94:16-19


I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote this Psalm had a particular group of wicked people in mind when he wrote this, but when I read about "enemies", or "wicked", or "evil ones" in the Psalms, I usually think either of Satan- the Enemy of my soul- or my sinful nature which is my greatest enemy. That may not be terribly accurate, but...

So we have reached the gospel whispered in this Psalm. Who rises up for me against my sin? Who stands up for me against my Enemy, Satan? THE LORD is my help! Jesus paid for my sin! Jesus intercedes for me when Satan wants to attack! Without His help, I would still be dead. He is my help today, and He's been my help before. "When I thought, (past tense) "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O LORD, held (past tense) me up." I can see my weakness, but His love supports me. He carries me because I am unable to walk on my own.

What are "the cares of my heart". Maybe illness in your life, or a loved one's life. Maybe difficult job situations or the lack of a job. Maybe little stresses that are all stacking up. Maybe a particularly tenacious sin struggle. I don't know, but they are "many". As I was chewing on this, I just kept thinking "Pain hurts." It doesn't matter what the direct source of pain is, it ALWAYS hurts! =P But God! =) His "consolations cheer my soul." I can keep on keeping on because He loves me- and you, if you are a believer- and because He is near to comfort me.

Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
John 16:7
 

Then you will say on that day, "I will give thanks to You, O LORD; For although You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, And You comfort me. "Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation."
Isaiah 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment