Friday, November 2, 2012

Wipe Your Sword

It's Narnia time again! Even though it has meant a lot more work and thought for me to use the Chronicles of Narnia for my oldest daughter's  reading curriculum this year, I'm thrilled with my decision to jump into it. =) She is learning a lot, and I am marveling again at C.S. Lewis' ability to so beautifully and vividly illustrate theology in his stories!

This week, she has read about Edmund betraying his siblings to the Witch, and their flight to the Stone Table and Aslan. Her last chapter this week was "Peter's First Battle". The last sentence in the chapter says, "And, whatever happens, never forget to wipe your sword." When I read it, I was thinking, "WOW!" And I really chewed on how to express the importance of that statement to her, but I came up empty. So she came to me yesterday and asked why Aslan told Peter never to forget to wipe his sword. We walked through it, and ultimately, the point of that line is this: Be ready to defend whomever and whatever you are responsible for.

the LORD said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments and be ready for the third day. For on the third day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.
Exodus 19:10-11
 

But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."
Luke 12:39-40
 

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
2 Timothy 4:1-2
 

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.
Titus 3:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment