Friday, January 11, 2013

Focus

"Focus" is one of my favorite words at this particular point in my parenting. My Crew don't focus well. They get distracted faster than I can blink. And unless they're looking at me, I'm not sure that they're listening... sometimes even when the ARE looking! =?

Funny thing though, I'm a lot like my Crew. I can lose my focus on the things that are REALLY important faster than I can blink. And frequently I'm not listening even when I am hearing what the Lord is saying to me. Or I just forget...

So yesterday, when I didn't get my devotions in, and didn't bother to even TRY to listen to a sermon online, I ran to EVERY SINGLE THING that I try to substitute for my God. Food, computer games, books, spacing out in front of a screen... and by the end of the day, I was pouring out my sinful attitude on my Crew. NOT a high moment. =P And still in the midst of all that, God was gently and graciously drawing me back. What He has, he holds. =)

Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."
Matthew 14:22-33


This is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. It comes right after Jesus has fed the crowd of more than 5,000. Peter is one of my favorite characters-- maybe because I think I'm a lot like him! I love how he starts so strong, but then he usually follows up immediately with near-stellar failure. I love that when Peter takes his focus off Jesus, he "begins to sink". It wasn't an immediate SPLASH, but a slow thing, almost like quicksand or something. And I love how in this passage Jesus is RIGHT THERE to save him again!

I had an "AHA!" moment earlier this week. At the end of this passage when the disciples say, "Truly you are the Son of God." They are actually saying, "You are God."

By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas; the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy.
Psalms 65:5-8
 

O LORD God of hosts, who is mighty as you are, O LORD, with your faithfulness all around you? You rule the raging of the sea; when its waves rise, you still them.
Psalms 89:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment