Monday, January 14, 2013

Glorious Gospel

I mentioned in a recent post that the "GLORIOUS" gospel was a post for another day. So today is the day! =) I used to think that the gospel was something that you needed to get saved, and that was it-- kind of like a vaccine against measles. I have learned though, that the gospel is LIFE! And not just "eternal life", although that is included...

I don't want to assume that everyone who reads my blog will already be familiar with Christian jargon, or even that all Christians will understand what I mean when I say "the gospel". And since I have no idea who God, in His providence, may direct to my blog, it's definition time. Very simply put, the gospel is this:

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
1 Corinthians 15:1-5


So basic basics, Jesus died, was buried, and was raised from the dead. It is important to define Jesus as well. Jesus is God the Son, the second person of the Trinity. Trinity means we believe in one God in three persons. Jesus was born as a real and complete person-- not half-man, not just the appearance of a person-- but a real, flesh-and-blood-and-spirit man. And He lived a life of perfect obedience to God's moral standard. Because of who He is, He was an acceptable sacrifice for the sins of His people. This is evidenced by the fact that He rose from the dead!

Now that you understand how I'm using terms, we can continue. The gospel is LIFE!!! It means that in Christ I am forgiven.

"Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin."
Romans 4:7-8
 

And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
Colossians 2:13-14
 

I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name's sake.
1 John 2:12


More than that, in Christ I am adopted as a child of the King! And like it says in the above quote from Romans, I am BLESSED! And that "blessed" is so much richer than anything tangible that I could acquire.

When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions. Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!
Psalms 65:3-4
 

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.
1 Peter 4:12-14


What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
Romans 8:31-32


It means that my sin is COMPLETELY paid for-- there is no wrath left for me, and so I can honestly face my sin. And I have a Helper in my ongoing battle against sin.

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:9-10
 

You forgave the iniquity of your people; you covered all their sin. Selah You withdrew all your wrath; you turned from your hot anger.
Psalms 85:2-3
 

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
Hebrews 2:14-18


It means that, in Christ, even my halfhearted attempts at obedience are acceptable to God because He loves me.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Romans 5:1-5
 

As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.
1 Peter 1:14-19

 
And it CERTAINLY means that I will have eternal life with my Savior and King one day!

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.
Revelation 22:1-5


I know this is a lengthy post, so I will close by saying with the apostle John:

Come, Lord Jesus!
Revelation 22:20b

No comments:

Post a Comment