Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I've Got Your Back

Shorty and I were talking last night about how it frustrates us for children to get sassy with their parents. This led to an interesting realization for both of us. Shorty started by saying that that is probably the thing that he is most strict about with our children. And I had noticed recently that if one of our children begins to mouth off at me, Shorty jumps all over them. When he is home, he insists that our children treat me with respect. And I told him, that I tend to let that slide-- there are just so many other things that I have to address in shepherding that I don't focus on that one. But then Shorty commented that he's not hard on the kids being respectful to him, but I am. It is SO important to me that our children respect and honor Shorty as the head of our home. So we talk often about the things that Daddy likes, and how we can prepare for Daddy before he gets home. And ABSOLUTELY if one of our Crew gets sassy with Shorty, they will get a reprimand from me.

We are just so thankful for the balance that we have as a married couple in raising our children. And we are so thankful for our church family who model and encourage us in our parenting. Not only does Shorty "have my back" and I have his, but our church family has our collective "back" as well! =)

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
 

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." Now out of the ground the LORD God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Genesis 2:18-24
 

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17
 

For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you."
1 Corinthians 12:14-21

No comments:

Post a Comment