Monday, January 28, 2013

Window Shopping

When I was about ten, Mommy took me on an overnight trip for the "birds and bees" talk. I have so many vivid and pleasant memories of that trip. One of the MOST vivid was after we had breakfast on Saturday morning, when Mommy asked me what I wanted to do until lunch. I suggested window shopping since we had spent the night in a little tourist trap. Mommy replied that she didn't window shop because it tempted her to be discontent.

With the widespread availability of the internet, "window shopping" is easier than ever before! And I went peeking a couple weeks ago, not expecting to find anything in my budget. To my IMMENSE surprise, I found several of the item I was perusing in my price range! Sometimes options ARE NOT my friend... Shorty and I decided on the item that we thought we wanted-- and were really excited. But upon further investigation, we discovered that what we thought would be a great deal, in fact, was not. It was only when it had been removed from my reach that I realized that despite my prayers and intentions to not set my heart on this item, I had. I was beginning to worship this THING! =( But God is so gracious to show me my sin, and he forgives my sin. And I know that he will always provide what I NEED to serve Him well. =)

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deuteronomy 6:4-5
 

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."
Matthew 22:36-40
 

Take care lest your heart be deceived, and you turn aside and serve other gods and worship them;
Deuteronomy 11:16
 

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"
Matthew 4:8-10
 

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment