Sunday, January 13, 2013

Quiet Moments

Kids don't seem to notice noise level. Shorty and I are CONSTANTLY having to remind our children to moderate their volume. I can remember instances from when I was a kid, that prove that I was much the same way. =) When I was a teenager, although I lived in a house full of other teenagers (we were all between the ages of 13-17) I had lots of times of quiet. I often had to drive somewhere by myself, or, if the noise was too much for me, I would hide myself away. Oh the freedom of youth! And then when Shorty and I were newlyweds, I thought our house was often TOO QUIET! Since having children, I have come to appreciate, even crave, the quiet moments. When I had just one child, there were LOTS of opportunities for quiet when I wasn't sleeping-- and I wasted them. When I had my second, the quiet moments were fewer. By my sweet third child, the only quiet moments I had were when I was up at night nursing her. And by my last baby, there was NOWHERE TO HIDE from the little people pulling at me with their seemingly constant needs!

This morning I woke up and my family are still asleep. It's not late, but it's not particularly early either. And so I tiptoed through the house, tidying a few things here and there. Now I am sitting on the couch SAVORING the quiet moments I have before my Crew are awake and needing me. These are my FAVORITE times to have devotions, but if I WAITED for moments like these to do my devotions, I would be STARVING! Mamas, find a place to grab a quiet moment with your loving King and Father today. And if you're not a mama, you still need to find a quiet moment with your loving King and Father! =)

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"
Psalms 46:10
 

I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the LORD: "O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!" Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful. The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you. For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
Psalms 116:1-9
 

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment