Monday, January 7, 2013

Oblivious

I am a perpetual optimist. Most of the time, I look for the sunny side of things. =) This can be a good thing, but it tends to make me quite gullible-- and oblivious. My Shorty, on the other hand, has incredible insight in his people watching. He catches undertones that I COMPLETELY miss. He's a good balance for me. But I've been being confronted with my lack of insight for the past several months... and I'm still struggling with balance. I LIKE being oblivious. I LIKE not knowing yucky stuff and tension. But each time I want to excuse my rose-colored observation, I'm reminded of Jesus' admonition:

"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
Matthew 10:16


The imagery in this verse is amazing! Sheep are stupid, basically helpless critters. And wolves-- well, there's a reason that they are the villains in so many fairy tales... Then there is the contrast of being wise and innocent. So I'm trying to still "look on the bright side", and when my half-full glass gets shattered, rest in the hope of Christ's effective work in His people. =)

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:1-6
 

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Colossians 1:9-14

No comments:

Post a Comment