Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm Rich

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
Galatians 4:4-7


I read Galatians this morning.  This really stuck out to me.  As I was listening to a sermon recently, the pastor was talking about how adoption differed in Roman times, compared to how we think of adoption.  He said that older, wealthy men would adopt a grown man to inherit their wealth, rather than have it return to the Roman government.  So when a man was adopted a couple of things happened simultaneously.  As soon as the papers were signed, or however they made it legal/official, the adopted son no longer had any debt AND he was an heir to great riches.  I LOVE how God speaks to us using pictures and things we can understand!  As soon as I received the gift of faith, my debt to God for my sin was cancelled through Christ!  And because my sin has been paid for, I have a relationship with my Creator & King!  I have access to the King!  And the Spirit lives IN me!

I was thinking about how in Europe the monarchs would make alliances with one another.  Usually the deal was sealed by sending a princess to the ally's court, & ultimately to marry one of their princes.  Now I know that analogies always fall short, but the most lasting alliances were built on blood.  God the Father sent God the Son to pay my sin debt with His blood, and then They sent God the Holy Spirit to live with me-- IN me!  So I was pondering how I should live.  I just tend to forget that I have the Spirit in me.  I live too many days with little or no thought of my God, but He is faithful! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment