Sunday, August 26, 2012

Movies

I love watching movies with my family!  I especially enjoy looking beyond the surface for the fingerprints of God in human creativity as we bear out His image.  It is FASCINATING to me, to see how people reflect the God who made them, even unintentionally! =)

Shorty & I enjoy the fantasy genre, & are now introducing our Crew to some of it.  Tonight we watched Thor.  I was making popcorn in the kitchen when I heard this quote: "Do you swear to cast aside your selfish ambition and to pledge yourself only to the good of the realms?"  This sounded so very similar to something my pastor said in his sermon this morning.  "Christianity is making much of Jesus Christ through self sacrifice."  One of his application points was to be happy with God bringing growth in others through you even when you receive no accolades.

The Lord has been talking to me about this at least all summer, maybe longer... I remember talking with a kid a few years ago, and thinking during our conversation that most of the world doesn't even know he's alive, and immediately thinking that the same is true of me!  I am just a breath, a flower that fades, like the grass...  And then this summer, the Lord has been really impressing on me that I need to think about myself less.  Life is not about me, it is about God getting the maximum amount of glory!

He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalms 23:3


And they came to John and said to him, "Rabbi, he who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you bore witness--look, he is baptizing, and all are going to him." John answered, "A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, 'I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.' The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease."
John 3:26-30

No comments:

Post a Comment