Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pet Peeve

Pet peeves may be a dangerous subject... I realized a couple of years ago that generally speaking, pet peeves are an outlet for pride.  One of mine is the misspelling of the contraction "y'all".  It is a PROPER contraction pairing the words "you" and "all", but MOST of the time, when I see it written, it looks like this: ya'll.  This is not correct!!! ;) LOL!

Now this is not the point of my post.  In the grander scheme of things, it matters not how y'all is spelled. =)  But that seemed like a funny intro to another thing that has been bothering me lately: taking a verse out of context.  You see, I grew up in the church, among Christians.  There are LOTS of single verses, or even parts of verses that I am quite familiar with, but sometimes when I look for these familiar "verses" I find out that IN THEIR CONTEXT, they don't say what I thought they did!  This has been disappointing for me in the past, and more recently, surprising.  So now, rather than a rant, a word of encouragement... Please read your verses in context.  Your life and walk will be richer that way! =)

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Ephesians 3:14-21

No comments:

Post a Comment