Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26


I read these verses yesterday & it hit me that I have been guilty in recent months of not REMEMBERING Christ as I partake of the Lord's supper.  Reanna asked me at our church's most recent observance what the bread & juice mean.  It was a good reminder for me to have to answer that question.  I told her that the juice represents Christ's blood- as indicated in the verses above- which is to say that Jesus gave his life to pay for the sins of His people.  But I was stumped about the bread.  Then as she turned to Shorty & he answered, I was reminded that the bread was a reference to Christ's ability & desire to sustain us.  He gives LIFE! =)

So, point of the day: "Familiarity breeds contempt."  Habits are FANTASTIC things!  Habits allow me to fold laundry while I watch a show on TV.  Habits allow me to load dishes, sort laundry, put things away, and any number of other repeated tasks with very little conscious  effort.  However, engaging in worship by HABIT is not acceptable.  The Lord wants me to worship him with all my heart, soul, MIND, and strength!  So how is it that I can become so INDIFFERENT to the infinite price Christ paid to redeem me?

I've been pondering that for the last several hours, & I think it stems from a pair of related misunderstandings.  First, the division between my SPIRITUAL life, and my PHYSICAL life.  I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but Scripture consistently teaches that we should seek to glorify God with our WHOLE lives.  ANY act performed in faith pleases Him.  (What that "in faith" means is a discussion for another day. ;))  The second point really is more of a sub-point under the first, and it is my tendency to live life with little or no thought of God.  As I've been pondering this, I've come to the conclusion that I live so many hours without thinking about Him because I tend to draw that division between the necessary PHYSICAL things, and the really GODLY things like reading the Bible & praying.

I need reminding that I was created to worship my Creator & King in faith in EVERY part, and EVERY moment that he gives me, because I am still a forgetful sinner.  But His grace is GREATER than ALL my sin!  WOO HOO!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment