Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rich Promises

I am a bit nervous about what today is going to hold for me.  I enjoyed a SUPER RICH time in God's Word this morning, but I have observed that often, when God gives me a really rich meal in His Word, I'm in for near-stellar failure into sin...Still, I'm bubbling over, & just have to share!

I started out in 2 Corinthians:

What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."  Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.
2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1


It has become my habit to look up the verses quoted in the New Testament in their Old Testament passages.  The first sentence is quoted from Leviticus 26.  In it, God is promising His presence with Israel IF they keep the law.  We know from the rest of the biblical account that Israel was unable to do that, and so repeatedly suffered God's wrath.  The next sentence is from Isaiah 52-- here's where it started getting rich for me! =)  In Isaiah 52, God is promising Israel's deliverance from bondage.  The chapter ends with an introduction to the "servant" who acts wisely-- we know now that this prophecy is about Jesus Christ.  In chapter 53 He bears our griefs, carries OUR afflictions, suffers the wrath of the Holy God against OUR sin! And both Father & Son were PLEASED to make this sacrifice to redeem a wretched, sinful people!!!

Today, I am amazed at the price God paid to fulfill His promise to dwell among His people-- to make ME His dwelling!  So, 2 Corinthians 7:1 comes in-- because we have the promise of the Living God to DWELL with us, make it a point to pursue holiness.  I am to make it the aim of my life to do the things that will please my Father.  And I can rest in His love because Christ ALWAYS pleased the Father in my place, and paid for my failures.  My sin is forgiven!!!  PRAISE GOD FOR HIS GLORIOUS GRACE!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment