Friday, July 13, 2012

One Year Ago

One year ago, I was still asleep.  We had been traveling back & forth to Scott & White hospital in Temple for over a week to be with my father-in-law, & I was exhausted both emotionally & physically.  Dad had suffered a heart attack & then had a valve tear loose, followed by lots of machines & open heart surgery.

We were expecting this day last year to be pretty normal.  Mom & Holly got up & went to work, but Shorty took the day off to be with the Crew & me.  He had taken the girls to storytime & I was playing a game with Judah.  Then we got the call from Mom.  The doctor wanted a meeting with us at noon.  When we got to the hospital, the doctor told us that Dad had taken a much worse turn during the night & that there was nothing else medically they could do to prolong his life.  What followed were several hours of phone calls & tears as we waited for the time to pass until they could unhook the machines.

Shorty & I felt the love of God SO RICHLY through His people during the month of July.  Our church family & my family of origin really carried us.  They served us faithfully with prayers, care for our Crew, some cooking & cleaning, & their presence both at the hospital & funeral. 

This past year has been hard.  The Lord has shown me areas where I didn't love Shorty & his family well.  He's reminded me how weak I am & how short life can be.  He's grown my love for His church.  And he has used all of it to make me long for his return, when sin & Death will finally be defeated.

It Is Not Death To Die ~Sovereign Grace Music

VERSE 1
It is not death to die
To leave this weary road
And join the saints who dwell on high
Who’ve found their home with God
It is not death to close
The eyes long dimmed by tears
And wake in joy before Your throne
Delivered from our fears

CHORUS

O Jesus, conquering the grave
Your precious blood has power to save
Those who trust in You
Will in Your mercy find
That it is not death to die

VERSE 2

It is not death to fling
Aside this earthly dust
And rise with strong and noble wing
To live among the just
It is not death to hear
The key unlock the door
That sets us free from mortal years
To praise You evermore

No comments:

Post a Comment