Wednesday, October 10, 2012

ABC's

Yesterday I really needed to be reminded of the goodness of my God.  I felt like I was literally starving & even after spending my devotion time, I was still hungry.  So I tried something different for me-- I walked through the ABC's thinking about attributes of God.  And I thought the exercise was worth sharing.

A- "Alpha": God is the beginning of all things.  He is also the Supreme being (think alpha male).
B- "Beautiful": He is the most Beautiful One, and the source of all beauty.
C- "Comfort" and "Creator": No comfort compares to His comfort, and He created all things.
D- "Delight": Because of the work of the Spirit in my life, He is my greatest delight.  To quote a dear brother, "Delight makes me think of dessert." =)
E- "Everything": He is sufficient to satisfy all my needs and desires!
F- "Faithful": God is always faithful, even when I am faithless, because He cannot be untrue to His own character. and "Father": Through the saving work of Jesus Christ, His Father is now MY Father!
G- "God" and "Good": He is the Only TRUE God, and He is so Good that I cannot even grasp the depths of His goodness.
H- "Holy": God is pure and separate from all sin.
I- "Infinite": He is the beginning of all things, but He has NO beginning and NO END!
J- "Just": Because God is Holy, He must judge sin. There is no evil that will slip by unnoticed, there will be no "unsolved" or "cold" cases.
K- "Knowledge": He is the root and source of all knowledge. and "King": Both because He made me, and because He redeemed me!
L- "Love" and "Life": Love, not in the "fluff and stuff" way that lets me do whatever I want, but in the way that won't let His children "play in the road", and doesn't always give me what I THINK I want, but what is truly good for me. Because of this Love, I also have Life! The Spirit has opened my eyes to see the Greatness of my Creator and King!
M- "Majestic": Glorious beyond all measure!
N- "Narrator": God is the One who is telling this story we call "history" and "life".
O- "Omnipotent": He is the ultimate Power. NOTHING is outside His authority.
P- "Prince of Peace": He gives me peace during the highs and lows of life.
Q- "Quiet": He is the quiet place where my soul is refreshed
R- "Righteous": It would be scary if God were all-powerful and evil, but He is not. He is the standard for righteousness.
S- "Savior": God the Son became a man, while remaining fully God, to save me from my sin & bring me into fellowship with Him! =) *happy thought*
T- "Truth": Like Knowledge, God is the root and source of all Truth. He CANNOT lie! =)
U- "Unique": There is no other like God! No one else can do the works He does, and no one and nothing can satisfy like He does.
V- "Virtuous": God is the epitome of virtue, and possesses in His character all that is good.
W- "Wise": Not only does God know all things, but He knows how to apply His knowledge for the best possible end result.
X- "eXcellent": Because God is infinite, He excels beyond all His creation.
Y- "Yes": In Christ, God is for me. I'm no longer His enemy.
Z- "Zest": God is the zest, the spice, the joy of my life. It may not always look like it, because I'm still tied to the sin that laces every part of my being, but one day... =)

A Prayer of David. Incline your ear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am godly; save your servant, who trusts in you--you are my God. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all the day. Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. O God, insolent men have risen up against me; a band of ruthless men seeks my life, and they do not set you before them. But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. Turn to me and be gracious to me; give your strength to your servant, and save the son of your maidservant. Show me a sign of your favor, that those who hate me may see and be put to shame because you, LORD, have helped me and comforted me.
Psalms 86:1-17

No comments:

Post a Comment